Macaroni and Cheddar Cheese
We all have those days when we need some good comfort food. For me, comfort food usually means pasta; and who doesn’t love a big bowl of mac n cheese?
This recipe is from the book : Rachael Ray 30 Minute Meals 2. I make some adjustments to it for myself but anyway you make it will definitely be delicious.
Total: 30 min
Cook: 10 min
Yield: 4 entree servings, 8 side servings
* 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil, 1 turn of the pan in a slow stream
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 3 tablespoons flour
* 1 1/2 cups whole or 2 percent milk
* 3 cups shredded white Cheddar cheese
* 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground or freshly grated
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, a couple pinches
* 1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked 8 minutes or to al dente, with a little bite to it
* Heat a medium, deep skillet over medium heat.
* Add oil and butter. When butter melts into the oil, add flour and combine.
* Gently cook, whisking flour and butter together, until smooth and flour has had a chance to cook, about 3 minutes.
* Slowly add milk while continuing to whisk.
* Gently bring milk to a bubble while stirring frequently.
* Allow the milk to thicken a bit, then stir in 2 cups of shredded Cheddar cheese a handful at a time.
* Season sauce with nutmeg and cayenne.
* Taste and add a little salt, if you like.
* Add cooked pasta to sauce and coat completely by turning over and over in the cheese sauce. Transfer to a baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Place baking dish under a hot broiler and brown the Cheddar cheese on top.
**I usually also add a pinch of paprika to the seasoning and a garlic clove or two.
***I also usually just top all the cheese on the pasta without cooking it in the oven. If I do cook it in the oven I top it with about 1/2 a cup of Parmesan cheese.